The scope here could be smaller or larger, I’d just like to collect together a few needs/ideas/discussions to inform what to do next.
It has potential to balloon in scope too much, so I would be keen to avoid that by collecting lots of thoughts, but not expecting to solve them all with a Magic Solution, but just be able to improve at least something.
invoiceplane 1.x is current system
invoiceplane 2.x is a totally different system, not released yet
evaluate new invoicing software, consider integrating membership management too
- invoiceninja (self hosted option allows all features from pro/enterprise too). does a lot more than just invoicing.
- other options?
timescale, perhaps by January or February aim to have system in place? to coincide with VAT registration needs too?
- ensure recurring invoicing works
- centralized store for client information and notes
- ensure manual adjustments can be made as needed
- possibly more/semi-automated input of payment info from bank/paypal
nice to haves / optionals / considerations
- online payment methods?
- mapping services/invoices to deployed resources? (e.g… which server does a site end up on - useful for better outage information, but maybe more uses?)
- importing bandwidth reports into system with fewer manual steps?
- full automation
- replacing all spreadsheets
… and a consideration of whether to include the membership management system in this too:
- possible move to a CRM system in the future, possibly try and combine that with the invoicing system if so
In the previous email chain @chris said:
We might also want to consider adding the other tools to this list
– Adam uses Mailman for client financial correspondence and I use RT
for technical correspondence and GitLab for issues and time tracking for
a small number of clients.