Unwrapped Shop Crookes, Sheffield

I remember a time when carrier bags were not supplied by grocery shops, and then the introduction of brown paper carrier bags with string handles. Sliced bread was wrapped in waxed paper and both butter and margarine was wrapped in greaseproof paper. There was no plastic wrappings as far as I can remember.
But now, there is a disaster upon us because of the explosion on unsustainable packaging.
It’s really good that a shop has now opened in Crookes, Sheffield called Unwrapped which sells food and other products like cleaning materials etc and invites the customers to bring their own containers. Failing that, they can provide sustainable packaging if required.
I would encourage you to have a look at their website:
https://www.unwrappedshop.co.uk/

1 Like

Thanks for posting that @Steve, I totally agree, re-cycling isn’t the answer — we need to stop producing plastic designed to be thrown away, I hope the shop is a success and the concept spreads, shops like this need to be within walking or cycling distance for everyone.

One of our clients is campaigning on the issue of plastic waste and especially disposable plastic bottles, City to Sea. Their Refill campaign has really taken off (encouraging reusable water bottles and cafes to provide tap water on demand), even the local Costa in Heeley Retail Park has one of their stickers on the door now.

The Green Valley Grocer in Slaithwaite (a community-owned cooperative retailer of which I am pleased and proud to bea co-founder) makes a point of avoiding signle use plastics wherever possible. Produce is generally sold loose, and paper bags are provided. Customers are encouraged to bring old plastic carrier bags into the shop for re-use. With the recent media attention on plastics, the shop has seen a marked increase in trade.

1 Like

Thanks for reply, Graham. Yes, I’ve been to Green Valley Grocer, when I visited Slaithwaite. It’s great to see shops like this, especially when they are co-operatives.

There is a new plastic free shop, just opened at:
327 Abbeydale Road, Sheffield, S7 1FS
https://www.barealternative.co.uk/
It will be open tomorrow (Sunday 2nd December)

Normal opening times:
Monday: closed

Tuesday: 8am - 4pm

Wednesday: 12pm - 8pm

THursday: 9am - 5pm

Friday: 9am - 5pm

Saturday: 10am - 5pm

Sunday: closed*

1 Like